What Are the Symptoms a Dog Experiences After Eating Fertilizer?

22
    • Plant fertilizer contains many volatile chemicals that can cause serious health issues for animals that consume them. According to the ASPCA, there were 2,300 reports of fertilizer exposure to pets in 2009.
      The symptoms associated with exposure can vary, depending on the type of fertilizer and the amount ingested. The fertilizer can contain additives such as herbicides, fungicides, pesticides and heavy metals such as iron and copper, all of which can be toxic.

    Salivation

    • The chemicals in the fertilizer can cause hypersalivation, or excess drooling. This might be your first clue that your dog ate something he was not supposed to eat.

    Stomach Upset

    • Even though the fertilizer contains many poisonous chemicals, it is poorly absorbed. Your dog might have gastrointestinal upset such as diarrhea and vomiting after ingestion. These symptoms will resolve within 12 to 24 hours with supportive care.

    Lethargy

    • Eating fertilizer can also cause lethargy. This symptom will most likely accompany the vomiting and diarrhea.

    Seizures

    • If consumed in large enough amounts, the toxins present in fertilizer can cause a dog to start having seizures. This is most common with fertilizers containing organophosphates which can be fatal even in small doses.

    Safety

    • To prevent your pet from consuming fertilizer, it should be kept out of reach and tightly sealed.
      If you think your pet has eaten some, call your local Poison Control or take him to a veterinarian immediately.

Source...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.